When I was a young boy growing up I thought I had my parents figured out. Being the quiet, observant type, I would sit back and watch their interactions with each other--how they would show affection to one another, how they would sometimes argue, how they would make plans for different things, and how they would talk to me and my sisters. I realize now that everything they did was in consideration of us. As they made plans, they would think and talk about what needed to happen in order for us kids to have what we needed. I did not realize then that the world did not revolve around me, so when I did not get my way I would put up a fuss.
I quickly learned that this was unacceptable, and as I grew I had a very distinct, clear understanding of what was right and was not right in our household. My sisters and I got along fairly well, but we definitely had our moments. I remember one time I hit my sister and immediately ran to the time-out chair. By the time my parents responded, I was already sitting in the corner with a dubious grin on my face. In my little mind, I thought, "This is worth a few minutes in 'the chair'! " I'm pretty sure I got spanked.
My parents were also very good at rewarding good behavior. We would receive stickers or treats for cleaning our rooms or getting along nicely with each other, and we each had special mommy or daddy times.
Whether they were disciplining me with positive or negative reinforcement, I always knew they loved me.
Now, I am starting a family of my own, so I have been thinking a lot about how my wife and I will raise our family in light of how my parents raised me. It has been enlightening and challenging at the same time because I am realizing that I did not understand as much as I thought I did.
In the same way I thought I had my parents figured out, I realize that I've been thinking I have God figured out. God identifies Himself as my Father so that I would want to know Him through Jesus Christ, His son. Growing up, I learned the Bible stories and about Jesus, but I did not know that God is my Father. I definitely did not understand the depth of His love for me (still working on that one!)
My whole life until recently, I have thought that my life was for me to live how I see fit--that it belongs to me. In my heart and my mind, I said, "I have worked hard to earn what I have, and I have certain rights and freedoms to excercise those rights because of who I am and where I live." More and more, I am learning that this is the wrong attitude to have. The Bible says, "...for you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God." So I cannot even see my life with my own eyes, let alone know how to live it. I do, however, see this life through faith. Hebrews says that "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for; the conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 12:1). So I have a sure hope that I am going to live eternally with God, my Father. What a reward!!
But wait...how exactly does faith work? What does it mean to have faith? I was discussing this with a friend this week and he brought up the Latin word "fides" which is translated into English as "trust", "belief", or "faith." This is also the root word for our English word "fidelity," which is often used in reference to a person's trust or faithfulness in a marriage or intimate relationship of some sort. I found this very intriguing.
I have experienced fidelity in my marriage, and how sweet it is. I know I can confide in my wife, and she in me. We both have someone to lean on when we are in need of support of any kind. I know that there are things I have shared with her and her with me that nobody else will ever know. She is my favorite person in the whole world--my best friend. But it takes work. We have to make time for each other and put the other before ourselves in everything. To have faith in Jesus Christ then, is to experience all of this in my relationship with God. I have to put my relationship with Him before and above everything else. He is doing the same. I type this with tears in my eyes because I know that there is none other as faithful as my God.
So, in short, He is my reward. Now the verse makes much more sense that says, "without faith, it is impossible to please God." Because all that pleases Him is that I would be with Him forever. I am His reward.
No comments:
Post a Comment