Friday, November 28, 2014

Need Comfort? Maybe an Attitude Change...

It's 1:01 AM, two days after Thanksgiving.  I am at my parents' house with my wife and 1 1/2 year-old daughter.  My two younger sisters and their significant others are also here.  Of all the 8 people, 4 dogs, and 2 cats, various rodents and ladybugs in the house, everybody is sleeping except for me.  "Why?" do you ask?  Given the limited number of rooms, my family has to sleep in one room together, which is great--don't get me wrong.  The only thing is, this particular night my beautiful little toddler was having trouble sleeping, so my lovely, caring wife thought we needed to bring our child into bed with us, so she could sleep soundly.  It worked great, but at the expense of my comfort (just you try to sleep with little feet kicking your back.)

Now I am downstairs, putting my thoughts down because I feel like there is something to be learned from my life circumstances right now.

Like sleeping on the edge of the bed, I have found myself to be uncomfortable in a lot of different situations recently.  Without going into specifics about the situations, I thought maybe it would be enlightening to examine common factors of these situations:

1) I am not in control.

I have a way that I want things to go--not just certain things, but everything!  Some things I give up more easily than others, but with other things the experience is less comfortable.

2) I am not the center of attention.

I don't feel like I am getting my due recognition or thanks for what I do and who I am.

3) I am the center of attention.

Or at least it seems like it.  Sometimes I don't like being the focus because it puts the pressure on to perform without mistakes.  It seems like my faults alone are being laid bare, which cannot be an accurate representation of me, can it?!

4) I am put in a situation without being properly prepared.

These are the ones that really stretch me.  I often find that I am indeed able to draw from past experience, but sometimes that is not enough.


So what to do about these situations?  I think it may not be a matter of changing my circumstances, but one of changing my attitude.  Am I ever going to find true comfort in this world.  I am reminded of what Jesus says, "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart--I have overcome the world."  I thought I knew what this meant, but why do I still struggle with discomfort and discontent?

I have been thinking about a verse recently in Colossians in which Paul encourages the church to "let the word of Christ dwell richly among you."  I am realizing that it is not just knowing the Bible but a lifestyle of obeying the voice ("word") of the Lord.  God is calling me, and other believers, to be a different type of people.Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 

"…15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."   --Colossians:3


1) God is in control.  Understanding that more and more will give me peace

2) It is not about me.  I should be focusing on encouraging and building up others.

3) When there is something for me to say or do--to perform--it should be done in a way that brings glory to God's name.  If God is being praised and obeyed through my life, that is enough.  I shouldn't need any recognition because I have everything I need from my heavenly Father.

4) If I am in Christ, I am truly ready for anything--no less any work that God would have me do.

I should be thankful--even for my circumstances.

Earthly circumstances are temporary, but God's kingdom is eternal.  God is doing everything in my circumstances to get me ready for his kingdom.  So while I am here, I want to participate in Him perfecting me in His love.

I think I will go back upstairs to be with my family now.

No comments:

Post a Comment