Knowing Tom
Jim, Travis, and Kelly were
really excited that Tom was coming to town. The three coworkers would
often go during their lunch break to the coffee shop on the corner to
grab a cup of coffee and talk about politics,
current events, family happenings, and anything that would come up.
“I think it is really cool
that our CEO would take the time to come visit us for a week to help
streamline our operations,” said Kelly.
“Yeah, he’s a really caring guy,” said Jim.
“Oh, I know,” said Travis, “I
read all about him—his biography, his philosophy on business, and I
have all of his books on my shelf! Anything he has said, I’m sure I
have read it.”
“Well, I have heard him
speak,” Kelly grinned. “You should have heard the way he spoke—so
eloquently—and there was a real power to his inspirational message. I’m
sure I will never be the same after hearing him and
just being in his presence. I even got to shake his hand afterwards! I
am definitely going to the conference next month to hear his latest
wisdom. Maybe we can even have a conversation.”
After a minute of silence,
Jim noticed Travis and Kelly looking at him expectantly. He couldn’t
help but smile. “Well…?” Kelly said.
Jim answered, “Well…he’s kind of my neighbor. When
my family and I hit some rough times, we had to sell our house. Our CEO heard about it
through the grapevine and offered to let us live in the other wing of his mansion. I was
apprehensive at first, but I saw given our situation that we had no other choice. And
it has really been great. Tom and I take a walk every morning and we really get to talk.
He has such a heart to serve not only our clients but his employees and their families—he sees us all as his family.
I bet if he had his way, all of us would move in with him!” Jim chuckled, with a tear in his eye.
“I don’t know where I would be if it were not for Tom. While
it is definitely a blessing having a place to live, the most enjoyable part is my family living with Tom.”
At that moment, a man dressed in plain street clothes walked
up to their table and sat down. Kelly
gasped.
“It’s…” said Travis.
“Hi Tom,” said Jim with a smile. Tom returned the smile and looked at Travis
and Kelly.
“Well you must be Travis and Kelly,” said Tom warmly,
shaking each of their hands. “You have a
good friend here,” he said motioning towards Jim. “I have made him my new branch manager.”
Their jaws dropped. “See, I have been
looking for someone who is not afraid to go out on a limb, and who has a heart
to help people, putting them before himself.
Someone who will continue my work.”
Jim nodded. “Jim,” said Tom,
putting his hand on Jim’s shoulder, “I am giving you the company. And my mansion.”
“But Tom, I can’t handle that all by myself—I will need your
help! And the mansion—it is way too big
for just me and my family! There are so
many people who could find a home there.”
“That is why I am giving it to
you.” Silence. As they sat at the table, awestruck, it began
to sink in to Jim and his friends just the magnitude of the gift given. “I’m
glad we could all sit
here and talk. Now how about some coffee?”
In this story, there are three friends who all claim to know
Tom, their CEO.
Travis, has read all about Tom, having even read the books
written by Tom.
Kelly, on the other hand, has heard Tom speak and has been
in his presence
Jim is a little different in that He walks and talks with
Tom on a personal and regular basis, having moved himself and his family into
Tom’s mansion.
Who would you say
knows Tom the best?
Most would of course agree that the answer to that question
is Jim.
These three people represent three types of Christians.
The first type, like Travis, have read all about Jesus—both
in the Bible and Christian literature.
Even then, it is mostly fact-based knowledge and not a relationship with
a real, living person.
The second type, like Kelly, have met Jesus—meaning they
have had one or more personal encounters with the Lord—but they have not gone
further than that. It may seem like they
have because they repeatedly seek out those spiritual encounters—and get
them--but what lacks is a life of obedience in walking with the Lord
daily.
The third type, like Jim, are sincerely following Jesus,
having recognized their desperate condition, which all humans are in. They see His heart and make it their desire
to have the same heart—meaning they desire what God desires, working
cooperatively with Him in everything they do.
His character qualities begin to come theirs and what He has shared with
them, they share with others.
The question that this story begs is, “How do I know the Lord?” What is my relationship with him
like? This is the most important thing
we could know.
Let us walk with the Lord, and desire to please Him in
everything. He will do the rest.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment