Monday, March 31, 2014

The Perfect Gift

I'm sure you've been there.  You want to give that special someone the best gift they could possibly get.  Something that will leave them wowed and astounded.  Something that will take their breath away--often something surprising or profound. 

Have you ever asked yourself why you want to give the perfect gift?

If you are anything like me, there may be multiple reasons why you are looking for a special gift for someone.  I have looked for special gifts because I have gone through something special or memorable with a family member or friend.  I have given gifts because I wanted a particular person to like me.  I have given gifts because I wanted to appear generous or giving (or get another deduction on my tax return.)  I am sure I have given gifts out of pure love, too...or have I?

Ultimately, only God can answer whether I have had pure motives.  Reflecting on all of these reasons why I have given gifts, I am seeing that some of the reasons for my gift-giving have been selfish.  Would that make my gifts imperfect?

I have been thinking about this verse in James 1:17, "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."

There seem to be a couple of key words..."Every good thing..." and "every perfect gift."  This verse is saying that anything that is good and perfect that could be given is coming from one place--and what is that place?

"From above..."  Above what?  I think the answer is above everything--above this world, above people, above me.  Essentially, all good and perfect gifts are unattainable, at least by human effort.  So all the good gifts I thought I had given are actually not good at all.  Or perhaps I merely have a misunderstanding about where even what I have given has come from.

"...Coming down from the Father of lights..."  So my Father in heaven is the one who has given me everything, and anything that I thought I myself had given was actually being given by Him. 

Acts 17:25 says, "nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things" (emphasis added).  So God gives everything to everybody--including the very breath in their bodies.  This verse also tells me that I have nothing to give God--He doesn't need anything from me.

  I cannot give anything good to anybody--including to God.  So where does this leave me?

I am realizing that all God wants me to do is to receive what He is giving me--with a willing spirit and a joyful heart.  This may sound extreme to some, but I have found it to be the most fulfilling way and the only path to experiencing true life. 
Also, I have assurance--assurance that God will continue to provide and continue to give me everything that is perfect.

The last part of James 1:17 says, "with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."  In other words, God does not change.  It is impossible for Him to give anything that is not good and perfect.  Impossible.  He only gives what is good and perfect.

He has given us His most precious Son, Jesus Christ, so how will He not with Him give us all things?  (Romans 8:32)

 "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom."  (Luke 12:32)

A gift cannot get more perfect than that.  Will you receive this perfect, free gift from God?

No comments:

Post a Comment